SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - AA or Jesus?
Thread: AA or Jesus?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #103 (permalink)
Lily
*Grateful*

I can identify with many of your posts, see, I accepted Christ in 1989 and quit the drugs and alcohol for a season, but I was like a dry drunk, I turned to food, and didn't change until I really looked at the steps.

Even though I had come to saving faith I was still dishonest in many ways, and lived with many resentments. It was like I needed to read the Big Book of AA as a guide to what the word of God was telling me but the Big book emphasized what I needed to learn quickly, if I wanted to stay sober. Open-mindedness and willingness as well as honesty in all my affairs and dealing w/ resentments immediately. I was living as a very self centered fleshy believer and I also wasn't growing through the sanctification processes. I also learned about anonymity which began to spill over into my life about being a trusted friend and not gossiping.

for so many years I just wouldn't embrace the big book of AA because I thought the bible was the only answer and yet I could not stay sober and recovering until I opened it and began to work the steps for myself. (that didn't really happen until a couple of years ago) and I have been reading my one year bible since 2011!

Can someone not only stay sober and recover and be sanctified w/out the big book? Absolutely! But I am such a sloooooow learner, I needed both.

I love what it says on page 93:

your prospect may belong to a religious denomination. His religious education and training may be far superior to yours. In that case he is going to wonder how you can add anything to what he always knows. But he will be curious to learn why his own convictions may have not worked and why yours seem to work so well. he may be an example of the truth that faith alone is insufficient. To be vial faith it must be accompanied by self sacrifice and unselfish constructive action. Let him see that you are not there to instruct him in religion. Admit that he probably knows more about it than you do, but call to his attention the fact that however deep his faith and knowledge, he could not have applied it or he would not drink. Perhaps your story will help him see where he has failed to practice the very precepts he knows so well.

See I have a lot of biblical knowledge but had problems applying it. Heck, I still fall short daily in thought word and deed but I do hear my shepherds voice today and a don't take a drink or drug no matter what. It is much easier to be obedient sober minded that not!
Astro (06-02-2019), toad (06-02-2019)