Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
...... people say Shakespeare or Salinger or ... the Bible....is outdated, sexist, exclusionary...so on ad nauseum.

BECAUSE here's where I feel that looking for similarites not differences is critical. What rings true with (any) you? Selfishness, fear, and particularly when drinking victimhood and anger rang true for me. Those are perhaps "my things" to keep close in mind. Other stuff for other folks.

------------------------------

Here's where I think "take what you want and leave the rest" applies. It DOESN'T apply to picking and choosing what steps you think are OK or that you want to work. It does, IMO, apply to how you create a living program of recovery that works for you, to always have Step one and that big word acceptance in mind, keep your inventory and spiritual life, and serve others.

Intellectual challenging and picking about words only served me badly and kept me drinking for a long time.
I'm soooooooooo on board with both of these "points" you made. Funny enough, I've been PROFOUNDLY guilty of practicing their opposites quite often.