View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
pdm22

When I studied archaeology years ago, I remember seeing a chart of the history of the earth put on a year long calendar scale. On that scale, homo sapiens have been around the last fraction of a second on a December 31. That always stuck with me, how “new” we really are. That, and the fact that we almost became extinct a few times (the last time around 70,000 BC, the population estimates were said to have been as low as anywhere from 1,000-10,000). How dominant our species is now, yet we haven’t been around for that long, and almost didn’t make it a few times, yet so many world religions have a god based on our homo sapien/ human-like image. That’s a thought I’ve often spinned on- if we didn’t make it, and became extinct, which species would have dominated, and who would “god” be then.

Studying the history of the past probably pushed me a little more towards agnostic (raised Catholic, went through an atheist period). To me, it would make sense that there would be some sort of “life force” of some kind, driving nature, but to me it’s an “it”, not a “he” or “she”, and not something that can be easily explained or understood (not that I’ve encountered as of yet, anyways):

I couldn’t find the photo from my old archaeology book that I was thinking of, but this is similar. Interesting stuff: