SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - First AA Meeting Question
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
johnnyt53

I was also scared at my first meeting. I didn't go alone and it was all new to me. Actually it took many attempts to become comfortable at a meeting of any sort because I thought people were judging me or going to judge me if I opened my mouth. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. You'll know when the time is right. When I relapsed after 5 years and thought I could handle it on my own, 10 years later I went back after knowing I was really licked and had no control over my drinking. I just got away from sobriety being a priority, day to day. It was even harder going back than it was the first time and asking for help. It's still hard to ask for help. I know when I do or anyone does you get what you need and the big surprise is that the person helping you stays sober and probably helped as much or more than you. Much like the support on this site, people retain what they have by giving it away. So many paradoxes in life. You'll also learn that the newcomer is the most important person at any meeting. Good luck and keep and open mind. Don't judge by any one meeting but try many. If a friend hadn't told me that after my first meeting I don't know if I ever would have gone back. That was 31 years ago and we are lifelong friends now. You can do this.
johnnyt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyt53 For This Useful Post:
SoberCAH (05-15-2019)