View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Katerina1072

Is it possible to remain friends?

I know many of you have read my other thread on this forum. I've accepted that the relationship is over, he is not ready to get/stay clean. I'm going to start therapy next week, but until then I'm still feeling very lost and rejected. Being tossed aside to pursue a career in drugs hardly builds ones self esteem.

I did tell him I want to be there to help him with recovery should he ever get clean. If there's one person he's ever turned to with things it's been me. I know his deepest, darkest secrets and regrets. I understand No Contact is necessary a lot of times, but it's difficult for us due to financial responsibilities, him still using this mailing address, and so on. Obviously contact needs to be limited though, to allow healing.

I just want to know if anyone can tell me their personal experiences with friendship following a break up with an addict. I know there can never be any more enabling, I'm hoping therapy can help me to become the strong woman I used to be. But how do you remain on a friendship level for an addict, so that should they decide to get clean you can keep your word and assist them in recovery?