Thread: Day 7
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mysteryman

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
Maybe it's time to consider this a permanent change instead of just a long run at being sober, have you thought about it in those terms? It is a daily thing, but plenty of people have tried to have stints of non-drinking only to go back in at it as before or harder. You have already made it through seven days, but I'm not sure what your goals are about alcohol use, and I would only say that it gets harder to stop each time.
I suspected that part might prompt this kind of response.

To be perfectly honest with you, I havent yet come to terms in my mind with never being able to drink again at some point for the rest of my life. I wish I could, but it's my biggest struggle. Ive quit hundreds of times for a few days or weeks, and I believe me I know it gets harder each time. I know how destructive it is and the problems it has caused me.
The one thing that stops me thinking in those absolute terms right now is my partner and my family and friends, and some of the times that I was able to enjoy one or two drinks with them without self destructing, and I used to be able to do that. The memories of those times are great and to rule that out forever, and to think of them passing away or leaving my life without the possibility of spending times like that again, maybe in years and years in the future, is just too much for me to get my head around right now.
Im not planning on relapsing any time soon, ha, who is? Im taking it one day at a time and not thinking too much that far into the future at all. One day maybe I can contemplate other ideas. Hope this makes sense.