View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CRRHCC

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I was with AA about 3 years ago and stayed sober for 6 months. One guy at AA told me that one knows that one will relapse long before the actual relapse happens. I suppose he meant subconciously.

Is that so? If indeed so what are the warning signs to look out for and what are the steps one should take to ensure that it defnitely does not happen?

I started drinking again after 6 months because I never really intended then to stop for good. This time I most certainly do.
In my opinion, people relapse for the same reasons they drink to excess in the first place. The real question is what emotion do you, "feel," right before you have that urge to take that drink, do a drug or engage in any compulsive behavior?

Addictions always serve an emotional purpose. When circumstances in life become overwhelming we have learned to regain control of our feelings with a quick fix or mood changer. This works because we escape the trap of feeling helpless.

The antidote is to empower ourselves, regain control of our emotions with a more healthy high value behavior. This might seem too simple but it works. What we really seek is control. We are biologically wired to be in control. People find that when they take direct healthy, high value action, the addictive urge almost always vanishes! This sounds like magic but it makes sense because having acted more directly, we no longer need a substitute behavior.
When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Mathew 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.