View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
August252015

In a meeting about 40 days ago (maybe more- time kinda flies in terms of weeks tho sometimes not days) that a relapse (often) starts 90 days before the actual drink. And most people see it (only) once they have that drink. Sidenote: being committed to sobriety is probably what people realize they truly weren't, from the post-relapse vantage point.

Like MM said, whatever your program is, extend that/replace the AA option with the same things: quit the little stuff (whether that's using SR, going to meetings and having a sponsor with whom you have an active, consistent relationship; your regular meditation or yoga; whatever); it builds on itself and self-perpetuates; gradually "forgetting" or letting yourself off the hook for essentially dry drunk behaviors and patterns; putting yourself in situations that make it more likely you drink (people, places, etc)....essentially, doing the opposite of:

I also heard someone I greatly respect describe what I seek very well (he's been sober 25+ yrs having quit in his 20s so he's a youngun yet). He has built layers of resources, internal and external to make it as unlikely as possible to ever drink again. AA, sponsor, spiritual work, his strong marriage at which both work on, golf, yoga, healthy habits, work he enjoys, I'm sure I forget some because it seemed he listed a good 10 layers....so that occasional passing thought that a scotch looks good, in an airport lounge somewhere, is brief and dismissed by his strong "program of living," so to speak.

I believe that, truly, taking a drink isn't a surprise. There's always one and probably more reasons it is (someone's) choice.