View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
WeThinkNot

Sobriety is what really made me see the crab in a bucket mentality for the first time in my life.

In the very beginning I received the usual virtue signaling BS likely because nobody believed in me to achieve sobriety. "Let us know how we can help you". "You got this, we believe in you". Once I started making marked improvements in my life and walking with my head held high things changed quick.

Now it was unsolicited advice on what I should be doing in life. Or left handed compliments. Or snide remarks about the terrible things I did when I was drunk.

This really bothered me for a good while. The entirety of my life had sucked, I was finally taking the steps to make sure it stopped sucking, and I was getting a dismissive attitude as a result. But unfortunately that is just human nature. People cling to the notion that their misfortunes in life are due to luck or some grand conspiracy against them. So when they see somebody benefitting from the tangible results of self improvement the default response is to be resentful.

To hell with them. It no longer bothers me and I make sure to smile even wider when I come across such individuals.