View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I found myself really annoyed with a lot of people early in sobriety. There were several reasons for it, I think. I was quite angry with myself for a while, and just generally crabby and easily irritated. I think that's really common in early sobriety. The first few weeks, maybe even months, of sobriety are a roller-coaster. It seemed like the only people I could stand were the people in my AA meetings or treatment group. And not even all of them.

Another thing was that I had spent so much of my life feeling so bad about myself that I had let anyone and everyone mistreat me - and forgave them immediately, because surely, I was worse than them and deserved it. Once I got sober and started feeling better about myself, and the daily shame of drinking was gone, I started to be able to identify the people in my life who were simply toxic to me, and basically wrote them out of the script.

Give yourself some time to settle into sobriety and let the dust settle. Just concentrate on doing what you know is right for you. People who have not been where you are just won't understand. Most of them probably mean well. Their "advice" and commentary can be annoying, but most likely it's coming from a place of trying to help.