View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
The sober me seems to be even less tolerant than the drunk me. It is interesting to emerge from years of fog and haziness to discover who you really are.
I can relate to this. I could appreciate friends trying to offer help, while recognizing that most of them didn't have a clue what was going on. You understand and you want them to understand, but they don't. So you reject their efforts. But I think this should not be confused with actual intolerance. You still must appreciate their attempts at helping, even if they are lame attempts.

I have a friend, an MD no less, who I have discussed recovery with. I can tell by his responses that he has not a clue what the process is like inside another person. He would say things like, "Well why can't you just.....," suggesting that, "It's really just... just... SIMPLE." OK it is simple when you are recovered, or sitting there in an armchair observing something bewildering. But the process is not simple, and this should be obvious considering the difficulty people have getting there.

Also, I think he is an alcoholic himself, just not aware of it yet, because he has never attempted to do anything about it himself. I reject his perceived knowledge base as rubbish, but I tolerate it because I understand it. It's not the way I wish it was, but I understand. I've been there myself.

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
There will always be time to work on tolerance. Perhaps it is also a lifelong quest like sobriety. Something to work on every single day.
I think you will eventually see that you have a Hell of a lot more tolerance in this matter than you are currently giving yourself credit for.