View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Needabreak

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post

Unless there are some other undisclosed issues, I'd say it's telling of how hard living with a loved one's active alcoholism is when a mother decides to run over her adult child. He's still her child. There's still, I'm sure, in the back of her mind the image of her little boy playing with hot wheels, or playing catch with dad, or some other parental heart-string moment. A parent's love for their child doesn't just go away as they grow. What she did shows a depth of just done and seeing no way to get through to him.
Many of us have loved someone who was an alcoholic or an addict. We don't all go around running them over with our cars. Other than in self defense, there is never any excuse to do this. Ever.

This makes me think of those people who try to excuse their alcoholic loved one's DUIs and other drunken behavior by saying "Oh, he just drinks a little too much. It's his first time. They should be lenient."

If I were on the jury I'd vote to convict, and would hope that the judge sentences her to prison for a long time. Codependency is a horrible thing, but it should never be used as an excuse to commit a crime. Or to give someone a pass for their actions.

She tried to murder her son. And she is lucky he didn't die or she'd be facing a very long prison sentence.

Better to suggest that people work through their issues and get unstuck from their situation in a healthy way, rather than imply that they had the right to physically hurt someone else who wasn't behaving in the way that THEY wanted them to.