Old 04-14-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by HopeandCope1988 View Post
Every alcoholic, every family member of an alcoholic, and every situation regarding dealing with an alcoholic is different. You don't know what I face when I try to stand my ground, which I have tried to do. Again, it falls on deaf ears; stubborn, hard-headed ears..
HopeandCope, It can be hard to hear some of this stuff, I totally get it.

I have been in this situation (and this was just a few months ago and obviously not with my Father). So what did I do. I said no. We will sit here until the alcohol is out of the vehicle.

So that didn't go over very well.

You end up sitting there being told how ridiculous you are being over a bit of alcohol, being insulted etc and you start to think, am I being ridiculous?

I have always had really strong boundaries in my mind with regard to alcohol, for whatever reasons. Other people don't necessarily see it that way, I don't care.

So long story short, we sat there until the alcohol was thrown away. It was incredibly unpleasant but I let it roll off my back. None of this stuff is easy, people who are drinking will rarely if ever see your sober point of view. Just doesn't matter.

The thing with boundaries is they are not about the other person. Do I care that the person in my vehicle drinks or doesn't, not one bit. Well I care as one human to another, but I'm not stopping anyone from drinking, not ever, not my job, none of my business. The boundaries come in to play when it affects me only. You do as you like but don't hurt me in the process.

Boundaries can be hard. Please know i'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do here, just sharing my experience.