View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sydneyman

Why the constant negative self talk

As my header says so many of us are making it even harder to quit with all the negative self talk.
I am new just over 5 months sober and I used to be just like that. I was down in the dumps and the world was such a bad place and it was all so depressing, because I couldn't drink anymore.
Well why don't we turn it around and look at the positives instead. Put a positive spin to it. Shift the negative self talk to all the positives we get to experience and eventually gain going sober. It's seems very much like the glass half full or empty scenario question.
If you are not prepared to let go and open up to the endless new possibilities sobriety gives then I think you are still white knuckling it and destined to fail.
Its similar to all the people getting to day 3 and 4 then drinking and starting Day 1 all over again and then rinse and repeat. Eventually your sub conscious will think sobriety is just too hard, unachievable and not worth it. Push through and you will see that it is possible and that sobriety really is worth it. The hardest part is going sober not staying sober, for me anyway.
I read somewhere that around day 100 you can see it and around 6 months you are feeling it, you are living it. I think this rings true. For me the mind shift started around 3 months. Now I am living it, enjoying the hard work and experiencing the new life I so desperately wanted. After decades of drinking I am not going to change in just 5 months I know. I am learning to live sober every day. I am looking forward to experiencing all the "firsts" in my first year of sobriety. I am excited, not morbid about going sober. Life is 100% better now. We are all worth it and we deserve a better life than the active addicted life we all used to live. Don't you think?