Thread: Need to stop
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
WeThinkNot

Originally Posted by Rich45 View Post

What made you finally quit? I haven’t had that thing. I never got a dwi, have a great job, great kids, good wife, however we fight when she drinks to much and lately it’s been a lot. I am a super happy drunk, she is not. She is miserable. Nice house, cars that kind of superfiscal crap. I feel like if I could only have drinks till I catch a buzz then stop. Last couple days I drink till I eat it then I drink even faster. I can’t win. I don’t think to drink faster it just happens. I catch myself drinking a glass in 5 minutes or less. 3-4 shots a glass. I try to slow it down but just keeps going. Do you think there is a way to not be like this?
I made the mistake of thinking something external would finally make me "snap out of it" but it never came. DUIs, divorce, losing friends, financial problems, getting passed over at work, all that stuff happened to me but I kept drinking. Then I would wonder what would it take before I hit my bottom.

One night I was drinking in the dark as I did every night. Because of my tolerance I wasn't anywhere close to where I needed to be after finishing the bottle. It was too late to go get some more whiskey so I was stuck.

I had that moment of clarity that is often talked about when it comes to addiction. While sitting there I realized what I had become and how profoundly unhappy I was on the inside. Right there on the spot I decided I was finished with booze forever.

A great job, great family, cars, houses, all that stuff doesn't matter if there is something wrong on the inside. That's where you need to focus your attention.