Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
WeThinkNot

This is likely an uncomfortable truth but oh well:

Most of your friends from your drinking days are probably losers. When I was drinking, I was a loser and my friends were losers. Speaking strictly for myself, here is what I was accomplishing while still active in my addiction: wasting my most precious commodity (time), slowly committing suicide by poison, and sitting around feeling sorry for myself and being resentful.

Believe it or not, in my old circle of friends I was the only alcoholic. After I started gaining some time and momentum in sobriety I knew they weren't going to last much longer in my world for two reasons. First I could sense that they were becoming silently resentful towards me for making improvements to myself. The old crabs in a bucket mentality is no joke.

But I was becoming resentful towards them as well. At least my life sucked because I was drunk 24/7. Once I took a really good look at them I saw a bunch of people who were willfully pissing away their lives without the benefit of drug addiction. Out of shape. Shoveling fast food down their gullets. Up to their necks in debt. No goals or prospects for the future. Physically sober but definitely not emotionally or spiritually sober.

I cut off contact and never looked back.