View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

This was my experience as set out in the book Alcoholics Anonymous:
"There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible. This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it - this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish."

That was me. I lost the power of choice in drink, and I never got it back. In fact I was so pessimistic about my chances, I didn't even record the date of my last drink.

My solution was to through myself unreservedly into the program of AA. I had pretty much got the full implications of step one which includes the delusion that I could drink like other drinkers at some future date had to be smashed. I was at a meeting most days for the first few months, had a sponsor, and got straight into the steps.

By the time I got to step nine, at the three month mark I realised that the drink problem had been removed. I was not thinking of drinking or not drinking, I had found a better way to live, I was in a different space entirely.

By the way I did try a couple of meetings a week on the first go, and got the same result you did.