Old 04-03-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I remember thinking this was a great topic when this thread started 3 months ago. I didn't know what to say, because I could view the OP and it's opposite as both logically sound in some way. But I wasn't looking at it correctly.

I made a decision never to drink again, and I have held to it for near 25 years. The decision was a choice, and has only a tangential relationship to logic. Logic is a set of rules for thinking. Decisions are behaviors, and fall outside the purview of pure thought.

Decisions can be good, bad, neither, or both, and they will always be one of those, but logic is a process that is applied (seldom enough of the time), before the decision is made. A decision is nothing more than a choice. It is always subject to change. It may be based on logic or no logic at all.

Once cravings become reduced to manageable levels (and they will be), we recognize that we now have a choice not to drink, where before the issue was already decided. We would drink, because not drinking was unavailable to us before.

So let's take logic requirement out of the equation at this point. In essence, we are only pledging to always make the no drink choice. This is a behavior. Logic is not required and seldom rules our behavior anyway, but this is a case where the behavior counts all or nothing.

The logic should have been done long ago, and now it's time to leave the heady but important process behind us, and rely on choices with known outcomes to guide us. Don't get me wrong, I love logic, but sometimes we must control our behavior. Logic doesn't control our behavior. I suppose this is disappointing, but I think it's true. Logic and behavior are separate things, but both are important.