View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
jimmyJlover

I went mtn biking today for the first time in a year. Man, I didn't realize just how much thievery alcohol had on whatever weekend warrior level of fitness I had in the past. I bought the bike over a year ago thinking it would help me quit drinking and motivate me...it didn't. I used to run competitively about 8 years ago with a high fitness level. Alcohol and injuries slowly took over....mainly alcohol preventing true rehab from otherwise nuisance recoverable injuries.

Anyways, my fitness level today was down but my fun level was up! Although it's the first time on the bike since I quit drinking, I have been hiking with the dog. So today was like the next step towards increasing cardio in a post alcohol induced living lifestyle. Felt good.

While riding I thought of this:

All the times I get upset about not being "able to hangout" cause I "cannot" drink isn't even real. Sitting in a chair on a driveway with a few pals for hours doing nothing but drinking is now a pastime. Without the alcohol variable that wouldn't be my first choice for hanging out now. I don't drink anymore. So naturally the places I go, the things I want to do, and what captures my interest have changed. I was getting down on myself trying to keep social aspects alive in a life I was also trying to leave behind. It's a new life now.

Dang, that's impressive insight. I would've payed money for that vision a while back.