Thread: anxiety!
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JayTee33

For me, drinking was a way to cope with an ongoing anxiety issue that I've had my whole life. It "took the edge" off of the nerves and constant worry. But what I didn't realize at the time was how much worse my drinking was making things, not only physiologically, but by piling new anxieties on as the result of my actions while drinking.

Just over a year sober, I can say that from my experience, that intense post-quitting anxiety *does* get better, in the weeks and months that follow. But, if you suffer from underlying anxiety, quitting won't be a cure-all. In a way, it can brings the anxiety into sharper focus, since you don't have the escapism of the booze. It's a tough path, but a big part of my recovery has involved examining the root causes of my anxiety, and finding new, healthy ways to work through and with it. I've been working through the principles of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). You might want to take a look at it, if anxiety continues to be an issue. And/or talk to your doc.

All that to say you're not alone and we've got your back!

JT