Thread: It Can Be Done
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
warrens

Originally Posted by FrankBarone View Post
Felt a very strong urge to check in today. Back in 2010, I came across this site when I was at my lowest ebb. I just couldn't get out the bit at all. An endless drunken cycle of misery, self-loathing etc. Trying and failing to get sober. You know the score or you wouldn't be here. Coming on here was a great help, knowing that there were others out there, all across the world, going through the same thing.

I have no words to describe the feeling, but on August 10th 2010, six days into another life-destroying bender, something clicked into place. A moment of clarity. I had tried to quit before, but this felt different. I took a decision to finish the drink I had and then be done with it. I have never experienced a feeling of certainty like it before or since. I just knew that I was finally through with it.

The early days were hard and not without difficulties. Some relationships were beyond repair etc. I had to find work again after a patchy few years where I had lost jobs etc. But I got through it.

One thing I will always be thankful for is finding this place. I have no doubt my life would be very different and catastrophically worse without it. As time progressed and life's priorities change, coming here didn't seem like something I needed to do. And it's not. But I feel guilty about that from time to time. This place gave me so much and I feel that I could contribute more.

I'm 8 years, 7 months sober. I guess I just wanted to say thanks, sorry for not coming around so much, and to let everyone just starting out to know that it can be done.
Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Frank - it's wonderful to see you. I'm so glad you have all that lovely sober time. I also had the same realization. It's a cliché, but if I can do it - anyone can. 30 yrs. drinking, 11 yrs. sober.
​​​​​​
Beautiful... For those wondering "Why don't I have that moment of clarity?" Sometimes it's an evolution. Read appendix II in the Big Book. It turned my head around 7 years ago.

Thank you!