Thread: It Can Be Done
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FrankBarone

It Can Be Done

Felt a very strong urge to check in today. Back in 2010, I came across this site when I was at my lowest ebb. I just couldn't get out the bit at all. An endless drunken cycle of misery, self-loathing etc. Trying and failing to get sober. You know the score or you wouldn't be here. Coming on here was a great help, knowing that there were others out there, all across the world, going through the same thing.

I have no words to describe the feeling, but on August 10th 2010, six days into another life-destroying bender, something clicked into place. A moment of clarity. I had tried to quit before, but this felt different. I took a decision to finish the drink I had and then be done with it. I have never experienced a feeling of certainty like it before or since. I just knew that I was finally through with it.

The early days were hard and not without difficulties. Some relationships were beyond repair etc. I had to find work again after a patchy few years where I had lost jobs etc. But I got through it.

One thing I will always be thankful for is finding this place. I have no doubt my life would be very different and catastrophically worse without it. As time progressed and life's priorities change, coming here didn't seem like something I needed to do. And it's not. But I feel guilty about that from time to time. This place gave me so much and I feel that I could contribute more.

I'm 8 years, 7 months sober. I guess I just wanted to say thanks, sorry for not coming around so much, and to let everyone just starting out to know that it can be done.