View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No it's not big in Ireland so I hear
I think it developed as a day set aside for those Irish people living away from 'home', or the descendants of those people, to celebrate their Irishness.

D
Tis true tis true : )

I remember watching a Billy Connolly special once, he did a series on visiting places in Canada and he mentioned that the people of Eastern Canada (Newfoundland, PEI etc) were more Scottish than he was - almost implying they were trying too hard.

Well, as you say Dee, this is their heritage. For a long time we are told stories about our ancestors and the struggle they made to come here to this bunch of soil and try to make a go of it. They worked hard and because of that we enjoy what we have here now.

For me, my GG Grandfather travelled to Texas in 1840 from Ireland at a mere 16 years old. He was (eventually) drafted in to the confederate army and fled and joined the union.

He then travelled the United States for a few years before finally becoming the first European settler in the area where I live.

I don't think I have ever had a drink on St. Patrick's day but I will wear a green shirt and take a moment to thank him for his struggle and for being a fine Irishman!