View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Although I agree with Dee and Scott, I think their positions are from the perspective of long term sobriety. I can now see and feel that by giving up drinking, in the end, I gave up nothing but pain and suffering. However I also know that during my struggles to get sober, and also during early sobriety, I did have to sacrifice certain things.

There is a feeling of security in familiar pain. For many of us that's just a fact of our addiction. Whether it came from the circumstances of our lives or from some sort of chemistry of our psyche. By giving up drinking we were sacrificing the numb, cold comfort of oblivion. It's not an easy thing to give up. If it was, then the rational mind would always trump and there would be no real problem. There probably wouldn't even be this website. So I guess I'm just speaking to myself in my early days of sobriety. They were things I've had to sacrifice. I've had to give up running away from my life. I've had to let go of my patterns of avoidance. All these things are positive things now of course. But they weren't always easy to do.