Thread: anxiety!
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jimboagust

Anxiety is always terrible to deal with but please know that the physiological effects of alcohol make the problem much more difficult to deal with. It was only after having a prolonged period of sobriety that I was able to begin dealing with anxiety and depression instead of self-medicating in a way that exacerbated the problem.

If you are regularly having feelings of anxiety for no apparent reason you should definitely consider seeing a doctor. An earlier comment suggested that everyone feels anxiety, which is very true, but there is an important distinction to be made between a normal anxious response to a truly stressful situation (which is simply your body releasing cortisol as a proper defense mechanism), on the one hand, and a generalized anxiety disorder where you are feeling anxious over a situation that should not normally cause such a response, on the other (which is what it sounds like you are dealing with).

Therapy has been a huge help for me in dealing with an anxiety disorder. There are a variety of self-help techniques you can use, too, such as yoga or meditation, although these do not work for everyone in the same way.

Anyway, I think the greatest gift of sobriety is that it makes true self-care possible. Best of luck and take good care of yourself.