View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Everything is a sacrifice

Everything's a sacrifice. Someone was saying that today in the conversation I was having with some colleagues about living in a big city or choosing to leave the big city for the suburbs. Point being, no matter what choice you make, there's pluses and minuses, but there's always going to be some kind of sacrifice.

It got me thinking about my drinking. When you're drinking everything is sacrificed on the altar of your decision to keep putting the bottle to your lips. Your money, health, family, friends, psyche, spirit, future - every single thing imaginable is sacrificed, even if in part, to the Beast. And when you quit drinking there are sacrifices to be made. You have to face up to all the ghosts of your past. You have to deal with pain that you buried in the bath tubs full of booze that you used to drown all your sorrows in. There are bills to be paid ammends to be made. And there are social sacrifices, and there is some of the pain that comes in early sobriety.

Everything is a sacrifice. The question is who or what are you sacrificing to?

Just so damn grateful to finally be making sacrifices for my family, for myself, for my future and, most critically, for my permanent sobriety. No longer bowing down at the altar of alcohol. Instead being able to stand up and take on life. It's a blessing. It's work. But there's nothing better in the world.