View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CaiHong

Total Abstinence

Yesterday at a meeting one of the members asked my opinion on a situation that had just occurred, she was asked by a woman to be her temporary sponsor while on holidays she agreed but when she found out that the women was smoking dope and although she only did this while she was on holidays and that alcohol was her real problem and she had been sober a number of years. The would be sponsor declined after hearing this,as for her, the program is abstinence from all drugs apart from ones that are prescribed by your doctor. Another member, new to AA came up to her and questioned her decision.
I have just taken it for granted people would know that AA is a total abstinence of all mood altering drugs, a no brainer.
she seemed a little unsure of rejecting the temporary sponsorship role, I thought it perfectly justified as the woman was stoned and would be throughout the holiday.
OR
Could this be an opportunity to take the woman on and address the dope smoking. Alcohol was/is her problem and AA helped her to recover. Dope smoking for her is not a problem so no problem.

Ha anyone her on this forum encountered a similar situation, would be interested in your thoughts