Old 03-14-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Sometimes I wish there were no such word or label as alcoholic. In retrospect, not having a definitive line that must be crossed to identify myself as an alcoholic was of little help. The essence of the situation is that if a person's drinking continually leads him to a place in his head where he doesn't want to be, and if his attempts at moderation continually fail, he has two choices: Continue as is, or stop drinking. Labels aside, this should be your concern and your solution. Waiting for it to become obvious that you are "this or that" kicks the can down the road.

Once you accept that there is a problem, you are at the beginning of recovery. Many people don't want to accept they are bad enough to take action. It's a personal call. Maybe you see yourself has having a mild problem with alcohol. If you are willing to take action, you need to do something. If drinking like a normal person doesn't work, you need to quit. I wish I could see another alternative. God knows, I tried to find that alternative. My solution after a long struggle, was to quit alcohol altogether because I could not find another way.
Me too. It was the repetition that did it. Continued failure to drink normally, continued failure to moderate my intake = quitting for good. That and some really ****** consequences that were easily fixed with one solution: never drinking again.