View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
zoobadger

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
I did some out patient meetings for awhile that weren't 12 step based but a group of women sitting together with an addiction counselor where we would discuss a topic or issue and give each other feedback. I found that to be a lot more constructive. It didn't go around in a circle but was more popcorn style led by a qualified professional. It didn't make me stop drinking though..... even in those meetings with a counselor the message was never you can just quit. Take control back from your lower lizards brain's function of avoiding pain and seeking out pleasure with you higher cognitive human brain. Of course that would be too simple and stop the big business of the revolving door of the recovery movement.
My group therapy in PHP and IOP, and then continuing care was the same format. I found it IMMENSELY useful. Interacting directly with others who share my struggle really helped me.

I go to AA meetings, and I do believe that a spiritual awakening is a key element of recovery, but I really wish I could continue the once a week group therapy. My stupid health insurance company cut me off, though.

The AA concept of surrender was a huge help to me. I know that I can only stay sober by freely admitting that alcohol has defeated me. And I think sobriety would be impossible without a satisfying inner peace and and spiritual fulfillment. But that doesn't require belief in God, per se. But AA got me started on the right path.

So I attend meetings and derive inspiration from insights and stories that people share in meetings. And I think the mere effort of attending a meeting keeps me from taking my sobriety for granted and getting complacent.

But I've never worked the steps, per se, even if I've embraced and gained insight and strength from many of the concepts inherent in AA.

As others noted, I think there are many paths to sobriety. But, for me, a commitment to sobriety, being mindful of obstacles to sobriety, and keeping in mind all the things I've gained and all the things I can still attain and enjoy due to sobriety are what really keep me on the straight and narrow. AA helps with that, but it's not the sole means of sober living for me as it is for many.