View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
tursiops999

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
... had to be willing to quit for good, not only to get rid of all the bad things that were happening, but also to permanently get rid of the “positive” reason for drinking.
Gerandtwine
Tammy, glad you're back here. This point that GT noted above has been very helpful to me. I didn't actually have a lot of negative consequences from my drinking (some internal ones, like depression, but not so much "out in the real world" consequences). So it was a really important point for me that I quit also to get rid of the "positive" reasons for drinking. When my beast says "but it would feel good", I can say, yes it sure would, and you want that, you poor little thing, but I don't drink.

I also agree with others about building a positive, meaningful life after drinking. It's not a part of AVRT, not required for AVRT to be successful. But it's still a good thing for me to focus on with all the free time and energy I have after being done with drinking. There are lots of ways to approach that, perhaps worth exploring. Drinking just doesn't fit in to my life any more, and holds nothing for me. (It holds pleasure for my beast, but not for me).

hugs to you.