Thread: Choosing Life
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sparklife

Choosing Life

Its Day 4 for me. I’m feeling great and not waking up during the night from liver pain, dehydration and withdrawal shakes in the mornings. I also have had issues with really bad unexplained bruising all over and have been talking to the doctor about my heart and liver. My mind is clearer and I feel positive.

Ive been here before tho. It’s the two week mark I’m worried about. The issue for me was that I didn’t (and still really haven’t) dealt with why I’m an alcoholic. That’s the hard part I think and the long road ahead.

Ive found that writing down all my reasons, why I did drink, and why I don’t want to, then to do lists of fun things to do during the week, then distraction to do lists and check them off helps (and celebrate the small wins with a positive comment - like I’d say to a friend )

Having support forums and apps, audible books, meditation apps for bed time, sipping a diet soft drink/juice when I’d normally drink helps. Eating good food, doctors help and a psychologist for the long term plan.

The other issue is my husband is an alcoholic too and that will be challenge, not that I’ll be tempted, but to remember that conversations/behaviour/attitudes are different on an intoxicated/straight level. He’s also an enabler and wants me to be ‘happy’. So that will be a challenge to !always! be strong. I don’t party, but he likes to have groups over for drinks. I managed to stay straight on my last quit. He was encouraging me to drink too though. It’s hard in front of a group of people. I stayed strong though.

Im also giving up smoking at the same time. Double whammy. I’m feeling and thinking positive though.

Thank you you all for your support