View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Natom
Not Alone

Originally Posted by SkyBird View Post
I've noticed two things about myself and I'm wondering if they're traits that other alcoholics share.

One is that I'm an extremely sensitive person. From a young age I was always very sensitive to external stimuli. I used to panic when I heard the dial-up internet sound because it scared me. Bright lights, strange noises, strong smells, REALLY bothered me. I remember running out of a kitchen once because the smell of the meat was so unbearable. To this day, I'm still very sensitive. If I watch a horror movie, I will likely have nightmares for the next 6 months about it.

Another is that long, long before I considered drinking, I was obsessed with food. I could never just eat one Oreo- I had to finish the pack, or have my parents take it away. Sugar in particular. I used to fantasize about the next time I'd be able to eat ice cream, or Cheetos, or any other junk food. Because of this I was an overweight child and developed mild anorexia around the 4th grade, but that's another story.

My point is I don't resonate with a lot of the so-called "alcoholic" characteristics (irrational resentments, being an angry drunk, sexual misconduct, driving drunk, gambling or taking extreme risks) but I do have these two characteristics, and I wondered if anyone could relate.

Hey SkyBird,

Thanks for your post. I don't have the same response to external stimuli as you do however I have the same kind of issue with observations. I tend to be super observant with certain things and I pick up on a lot of things that other people don't see. So, for example, I could be in the waiting room at the doctors and I can't help but pick up on everything that everyone in that room is doing. A friend of mine has also said that I can tell what a lot of people are thinking before they can. It's a shame I can't use that talent on myself

With regards to food I've had a similar experience. I didn't know when to stop. I grew up in a Greek household and food always had a very prominent place in my childhood. I used to eat until I felt sick and to some extent I still gorge on certain foods and drink. However, I'm very into my fitness now so I tend to gorge and overeat on very healthy low calories foods.

Natom