View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Hi SkyBird-
Yes, I can relate to both of these characteristics. I fall under the category of being both and HSP (highly sensitive person) and an empath. Are you familiar with both of these? It may be something to research. It is very common for either to reach for addictions because sometimes it can be unbearable to feel and sense so much in the world.

I am also 21 months sober but realized last year that I am what is considered a food/sugar addict. I figured this out when listening to a podcast about sugar addiction. I have had eating disorders since the age of 19 (I am 42) but what it comes down to is that my body cannot process highly palatable foods, sugar or sugar substitutes and anything that triggers the reward center in my brain like alcohol and drugs did.

I am not in recovery for my sugar addiction but I am working on it. Just in the process of finding an OA sponsor and I also run a thread here on SR called Sugar Addiction Recovery Support. Feel free to come check us out.

Some resources I recommend:

Book: Food Junkies (will teach you about the addicted brain when it comes to food)

Podcast: This is the one that set off a light bulb for me about how alcoholism and food addiction are related:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/podcast-t...bitten-jonsson

A Vision for You- this OA group is beyond phenomenal. You can call in for phone meetings (2 times a day) or listen to previously recorded ones, even from the day before. This is how I found the woman I have asked to be my sponsor as you will have access to the phone numbers and emails of all members:

https://www.avision4you.info/

As for the characteristics of an alcoholic that you mentioned- I don't believe there is a one size fits all personality involved. You don't have to fit a mold to be an alcoholic just like you don't have to fit a mold to be a sugar addict. The only "characteristic" as I see it is that once we start to drink, we cannot predict the outcome of how much we drink and what happens when we do.

Anyway, please feel free to reach out if you need more info. I have lots of podcasts and groups to share if you are interested.