View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SkyBird

Sensitivity, and food addiction?

I've noticed two things about myself and I'm wondering if they're traits that other alcoholics share.

One is that I'm an extremely sensitive person. From a young age I was always very sensitive to external stimuli. I used to panic when I heard the dial-up internet sound because it scared me. Bright lights, strange noises, strong smells, REALLY bothered me. I remember running out of a kitchen once because the smell of the meat was so unbearable. To this day, I'm still very sensitive. If I watch a horror movie, I will likely have nightmares for the next 6 months about it.

Another is that long, long before I considered drinking, I was obsessed with food. I could never just eat one Oreo- I had to finish the pack, or have my parents take it away. Sugar in particular. I used to fantasize about the next time I'd be able to eat ice cream, or Cheetos, or any other junk food. Because of this I was an overweight child and developed mild anorexia around the 4th grade, but that's another story.

My point is I don't resonate with a lot of the so-called "alcoholic" characteristics (irrational resentments, being an angry drunk, sexual misconduct, driving drunk, gambling or taking extreme risks) but I do have these two characteristics, and I wondered if anyone could relate.