Thread: 18 Months Sober
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AtomicBlue

18 Months Sober

18 months ago today I believe God (Christian God for me) answered the prayer I had made a month earlier saying I’m all in, I hand my life over to him, and want to quit drinking completely. I believe he knew I’d need one last failed attempt at drinking in moderation to give me all the evidence I needed to know that I couldn’t control it anymore, and to feel enough shame and regret to finally seek help.

That day, hungover me contacted a 12 step treatment center and soon started outpatient treatment there which lasted 7 months. I started AA soon after starting treatment and continue to this day. I worked the 12 steps honestly with a sponsor and continue to work them today.

I want to mention the improvements that have happened in my life. Not to brag, but to show others how much quitting drinking can improve a person’s life. These aren’t all guaranteed to happen to everyone, nor in the same timeline. But, have hope!

Lost 30lbs, no longer overweight.
Was able to quit smoking.
Blood pressure went from prehypertension to normal.
Heart palpitations have almost disappeared.
I enjoy the small things in life again.
Anxiety has diminished significantly.
Depression is gone.
No longer feel tired all the time/much more energy.
Have hope for the future.
Increased confidence.
Much better spiritual connection with God.
Improved relationships.
The list could go on, but the icing on the cake is-I’m newly blessed with a baby that absolutely would have never happened had I continued drinking.
Thank you God!!!

My life isn’t all roses. Life still happens and things don’t always go my way. I’m still working on patience, anger, some anxiety and resentments that pop up. However, I can deal with these things much better sober in recovery.

To everyone still out there suffering I hope you can find it in yourselves to make that leap and give yourself a chance for your best possible life.