View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
honeypig

Hi, Beachn, and welcome to SR. I'm sorry you are in this situation and want you to know that you do have choices that can make your life and the lives of your kids better.

It doesn't sound as if you've gotten much education about alcoholism so far. The first thing I'd suggest is reading around this forum as much as you can. Make sure not to miss the "stickies" at the top of the page; they are a concentrated source of experience and learning. As one of our members often says, "knowledge is power", and you'll get a whole lot of that from reading other people's threads.

Please don't hold back from posting to other people's threads b/c you're new. It seems to me that those who get the most from either SR or Alanon are those who are most actively involved.

I'd also suggest getting yourself to an Alanon meeting ASAP. Many meetings have child care for a nominal fee (usually $1 per child, in my area) during the meeting so you don't have to leave the kids home in the care of someone who is not capable. For me, SR and Alanon were a powerful combo, the first for the breadth of the comments and experience I saw, the second b/c it was in person and could offer things that an internet forum simply couldn't.

It certainly doesn't seem as if your wife is anywhere near the point of realizing what she will lose by continuing to drink, and I think you are wise to take steps to protect yourself and the kids. Your lives could all change in an instant if she drove drunk w/them in the car and had an accident, or some other scenario came to pass.

Hope to hear more from you soon.