View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Anustart

Question about end-stage alcoholism

So I'm almost two-and-a-half years sober, but I recently started researching alcoholism again and found that in the months before I quit I matched all the symptoms of an end-stage alcoholic perfctly - I was even perilously close to alcoholic hepatitis - but once I stopped cold turkey, I didn't go through any physical withdrawals. Mental is a whole different story entirely, but nothing physical except for increased anxiety, and since my marriage was falling apart at the time, that's only to be expected. And ever since I realized that, my mind has been whispering that maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought, even though I know I was probably even worse than I allow myself to admit to this day, but the thoughts keep swirling all the same. Enough to bring me here after a long absence.

I'm not in danger of relapse or anything and I'm sorry if this is an odd post, but has anyone else had the same experience with quitting at end-level or know why I might have been spared the physical when so many aren't? Believe me, I'm nothing special. Thanks, everyone.