Thread: I'm new :)
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lonewolf22

^I was thinking the same thing

Welcome Skybird

FIrstly, I wasn't quite sure how many days of sobriety you had under your belt? Wasn't sure if you were at the 6 month mark and sober but struggling or at the six month and find yourself drinking again?

I'm only on day 11 so can't really give you an experienced opinion but I can give you a general outline of how I feel.

Well like you AA doesn't resonate for me, in fact I probably don't like being part of any group. I like to be able to have the space to think independently. So, at the moment I only use this forum and it has been super helpful to me getting through each day.

I thought about this the other day actually. I thought what if somehow I stopped having access to this forum, how would I feel, and I think it would be so much harder without having soberrecovery at hand.

Now I'm not aware of your situation but I think the fact you are bored says something and most definitely you should look to build a life that isn't boring for you. Boredom means you aren't doing what you want to do, so I guess it's worth asking what would you like your life to look like and how viable is that?

I don't have any friends but being a such an early stage in recovery, there is no way I could put myself in a situation around drinkers at the moment. I'm too impulsive a person that it wouldn't take long for me to press the 'feck it' button. And I'd be so frustrated if I did that when I am starting to feel better in myself and have things in place to fix other aspects of my life.

I think maybe a lot of people in recovery find it daunting when they think of never drinking again. I remember the many times I've fell on my arse again that thought bothered me. Now though if that thought pops up I give myself reason as to why for the moment I cannot drink.

The reasons are, I feel ten times worse when I drink, dealing with hangover after hangover after hangover. I might as well throw my money away when I drink because it is ultimately a waste. I'm tired of humiliating myself and consequently feeling worthless. And I am reversing any progress that is possible by not drinking when I do drink!

Who knows in a few years I might try drinking and see how I do cope with it but at the moment I know I can't drink for a good few years, at least, when I'm in this state of mind. I have tried for years to do so and it has never ended well for me. I am no better off now than I was ten years ago and that's depressing for me. Actually another thing that worries me is recently seeing stories about what people have done when they have been drunk. I heard a story the other day about a guy who stabbed his friend when On a binge over christmas. He got sentences to 14 years in jail. And I'd be a fool to think that couldn't possibly happen to me because when I black out I don't know what the hell I'm capable of. That worry is just too stressful, I don't want to live with that anymore.

If you give your area a good search for events, groups, volunteering, organisations etc. You can sometimes be surprised by what you find

Just over the last week I've found two things in my area thAt I'm really interested in joining.