View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mrsbee

Originally Posted by racingthoughts View Post
Hi MrsBee. Glad to have you.

You seem to have a lot of insight into your situation, which is great. I'm glad things seem to be getting back on track.

One difficult thing I would recommend is to ensure that you're paying attention to your own health more so than your husband's. It's very easy to get into dangerous territory yourself if you don't do this. It's very easy to rationalize slippage if you see yourself as not as bad as another person.

It's great that you're providing your husband with support, but staying clean yourself is probably the best way (if not only) way to truly help him. You guys are clearly a pretty enmeshed unit, but you two are also individuals. He seems to be relatively level-headed, but at the end of the day, his recovery is his own responsibility, just as yours is yours. If he gets/stays sober now but relapses somewhere down the line, you need to ensure that you have the tools and support to avoid going down with him again. In active usage, you guys seem to enable each other, so that needs to be nipped in the bud asap. I'm glad you're willing to go to Al-Anon, as this is a great start. I don't see a reason why you shouldn't go to AA, NA, MA, or CA as well. Again, another great resource.
I've been thinking a lot about all these things over the past week, and think your suggestions are extremely valuable. I know that focusing on my own recovery, rather than trying to help my husband, is going to be the hardest (and most unexpected) part of this, but I also know that it's necessary. I'm definitely glad that there's a lot of support here, because I'll need it!