View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Power123

No expectations

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Hello Power,

Yep, active addicts and alcoholics are the most unreliable people. We learned to not make family plans around my stepson. He was eventually not invited to family events, especially children's birthdays, because who wants uncle so-and-so showing up drunk off his keister making inappropriate comments? My stepdaughter simply will not expose her children to that.

If you want to continue to include your sister in events, then perhaps it would be best to do so with no expectations. Perhaps tell your Niece that her Aunt has been invited but you don't know if she will be able to make it or not. If she wants to attend, she can manage to get herself there. If she has money to drink, she has money for Uber. That way, 3-hour waits in the play place won't have to happen!

Hang in there...none of this is easy!!
Thank you, she was taking herself there, it was only her going this time, to visit and spend a night! Her driving is another worry! Usually she is pretty good around little one and doesn’t let that particular sister down (probably because of the distance and arranging it takes). You are right though, not inviting saves expectations and upset, although partly we invite her because we want her to be part of the family. I guess I’m just wondering how bad she is at the moment if she can’t even be bothered to make an excuse. Appreciate the response.