View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Could we be mixing up principles with personalities, the message with the messenger, or what we like to hear as opposed to the truth we need to hear?

I didn’t used to like the rather serious dude who might quote the book (say) regarding step five “The best reason first. If we skip this vital step we may not overcome drinking.” Being full of fear, this truth was rather unpleasant for me because it suggests I may have to do something I don’t want to do.

On the other hand, the seemingly happy chap who has a slogan for every occasion has a much more palatable message like “ don’t worry about the steps, just don’t drink and go to meetings” I liked that message and the messenger, but when I tried to follow it, I got drunk. That was because that individual was sharing his experience ( what he got away with) as if it was the AA program.

The serious fellow has put aside his ego, his desire to be popular, in favour of simply stating the truth. I try to do the same because I feel it is the AA program that was the path to my sobriety, not my unique experience, ideas, or opinions picked up along the way.