View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've been there Realest - plenty.

Long story short, sometimes........no matter how many times we go through the steps and how hard we try, sometimes we just don't feel all that connected. As has been stated above, for me about 90% of the time it's because I'm balking at something, not practicing a principle in ALL my affairs, not making some amends, refusing to REALLY take step 1 (especially the life's unmanageable part - even when I'm "sober"), have missed some stuff in inventory, or I'm still in delusion (not denial) about some aspects of my life or the way I live it and that's why I'm blocked. Almost always, some extra attention in these areas will bring back that feeling of contentedness.

Once in a while though, there have been segments of my life in recovery where I can look back and see where I was definitely on solid ground but didn't "feel" that connection. They were almost like blank spots. These are challenging times for sure. For me, these are the real test of my spirituality. Can I, will I, continue to do what I know I'm supposed to do even when there isn't the payoff of feeling connected? Will I act spiritually even though I don't necessarily feel spiritual?

Not "feeling connected" can be like spirituality kicked up a couple notches.... because living a spiritual life is easier when there's something in it for me (immediate payoff / "feeling" spiritual) but it's a whole new test of my resolve when I get to see if just how much I'm willing to do when that payoff isn't dangling out there in front of me. In the end, I've found these spiritual "blank spots" to be more of a good thing than a bad because it's during these times I get to really find out just how much I really believe in what I'm claiming I believe in how much I really believe in what I'm doing.