View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jake1961

New perspective on my sobriety

Sober four and a half years, thanks in part to this forum and several members who reached out to me in the early days and weeks. I found a recovery plan that worked for me and am forever grateful that I stopped drinking when I did; I seriously doubt I would be among the living right now if I hadn’t stopped in July of 2014

I had an ah-ha moment a couple of months ago, actually, more like a figurative slap upside the head. I’m a member of a service club and at a dinner meeting the members at my table started talking about the opioid crisis and addiction in general. One of the members there stated he is a long time recovered alcoholic and spent many years helping others get sober. Never knew that about him.

Afterward I said to him that I stopped drinking over four years ago and can’t imangine going back to drinking. He looked me in the eyes, got a very serious look, and said he can imangine it and that is why he does not drink. I was taken aback at first by how direct he was then later realized he was right; I certainly messed up a lot of things due to my drinking and have taken responsibility for my actions, but lately I have ignored how bad it had been. A lot of denial on my part. He opened my eyes to it, like ripping a band-aid off a cut.

Nothing good ever came from my drinking and getting drunk every day. Imangining what it would be like to go back to drinking and those problems has made me even stronger in my commitment to never drink again. I’m not going back to that self-destructive lifestyle, ever.