View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mcconnth2017

I have been in AA for almost 8 months. The people I have encountered have been very warm and accepting. I have not had a drink in 224 days and am working through the steps, although I am having a difficult time.

I am keeping an open mind, but I am an agnostic at best. I knew going into the program that it was anti-intellectual in nature. Ie. Just follow the path and you "could" be ok. I get some comments or odd looks, from die hards, when I mention my concerns in sharing. No, I don't call AA anti-intellectual at meetings. They are starting an agnostic and atheist meeting shortly near my location, which I am certainly going to try. The powerlessness and giving up free will are just a couple of things that seem counter intuitive to me.

However, as I read more books on recovery, I get more confused, which leads me further away from AA principles. I don't mean to bash AA, I am just sharing where I am at in recovery. Then the AA voice hits "Keep it simple stupid"

The meetings are beginning to become boring and a little depressing. However, I made a commitment to sobriety and I am going to work the steps and then reassess. Yes, I realize the step aren't to be done in a weekend.

Any input from anyone who feels/felt the same?