View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
August252015

That's a great point by thomas11.

While I have described my recovery as pretty pink all along, and my emotional stability is strong overall, there have been moments and even short periods (like a couple days, and one recent period of about 10 days) of some kind of "down."

I am an AA person and did my 4/5 steps (resentments and sharing with another person) about 6 mo sober and shortly after just fell apart sobbing in the middle of the night when I had woken up for some reason. Emotional processing of my past, for sure. And some relief I'd gotten it out.

There was significant emotional stress in my family starting in late Sep, through the first of Dec - that was an important and celebratory day, and I CRASHED emotionally the next day. There was that 10 day period of depression where I had to use all the tools I have learned in sobriety to get back in balance.

It's a learning process as we go along and one of the things that starts out as weird, unwelcome, jarring is actually having to feel stuff. That gets better, and yet still follows the path of life and its ups and downs. All of it's better than drinking, though!