View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
jimmyJlover

Originally Posted by Bettersober67 View Post
I have read numerous posts about the need, in early recovery, to remove ones self from opportunities to drink. Makes logical sense. In my situation, I would be at home alone and drink until the booze was gone.

My concern is around leaving the temptation of the social setting, but ending up at home with no one but my vodka bottle.

Thoughts?
I drank home alone as well. Like others said, it gave me solitude to enjoy my own pace without regard to anyone else. Nor did I have to entertain any conversation. Although sober, I still enjoy evenings of solitude after a long day as it helps with my mental clarity. But I don't buy a case of beer to have in the house while I'm there alone. Less the temptation sorta thing.

Anyways, I'm not sure it was a "need" to remove myself from opportunities to drink, it just seems fitting for me to stay sober right now. I'm sure many folks cover this subject, but heading to a bar where they primarily serve beer & whiskey shots is not wise compared to a nice restaurant with a social atmosphere surrounded by food, music, conversation, etc. Pointing out the obvious, I think you gotta ask yourself, "what is my purpose of being here" while in a social setting? For me, New Year's Eve was not going to happen, not with only 60 days sober. No way.

To provide feedback to your question....don't buy vodka for your house. Like me, I'm not stocking the garage fridge full of beer right now. Easy right? I would assume if I never take the first sip from any alcohol this won't be an issue. Being sober, I wouldn't buy a bottle of vodka for my house? So it will not be there to end up at home with "no one but you and a vodka bottle". Lessen the temptation.