View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
August252015

To JimmyJ - on your comment about getting to AA and committing completely. The only "requirement for membership is a desire to quit drinking." That's it. Going in the door, committing to that no drinking, and finding out how AA works is a great start. Just one of the many reasons the saying "one day at a time" is so true is that we can just...try something like a meeting any time we want. As we also say around here - today is the best day.

To the question BetterSober posted - my immediate thought was don't buy the vodka to have at home. It was my choice by the end too (once I basically moved past the wine stage), so some literal things I did included not going to a liquor store for any reason (gum, soda, whatever can be bought plenty of other places) and when I went to the store, our groceries don't sell liquor so in order to keep myself from buying wine I didn't really want but knew I would drink, I took in a set amount of money, no reusable bag that a wine bottle or two would fit in, only used clear plastic bags, and kept my receipt to show someone else. That made me accountable as an additional step - oh, and my parents were my transportation so putting it out in plain site was a great incentive.

Also, I filled my time at home alone with other things - Netflix/recorded show binges, lots of recovery memoirs, naps, exercise once I felt able....anything to keep time occupied. I came here and I also researched stuff about the first year sober, various physical things I experienced, gained info - and I started AA which has saved my life.

Living alone - nor living with others! - doesn't mean you are setting yourself up for failure if you are committed to no alcohol, and choose only things to support that decision.