View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bettersober67 View Post
I have read numerous posts about the need, in early recovery, to remove ones self from opportunities to drink. Makes logical sense. In my situation, I would be at home alone and drink until the booze was gone.

My concern is around leaving the temptation of the social setting, but ending up at home with no one but my vodka bottle.

Thoughts?
I ended up a home alone drinker too - less embarrassing that way and I could drink until I passed out.

When I finally quit, I accepted that my relationship with alcohol was not normal, it was toxic and it always would be.

I made a commitment not to drink again.

I wanted a good productive and meaningful life and I wanted to be all I could be.

This community helped me keep my commitment, although sometimes it was hard to do so in the early days, I got through and stayed sober.

I stayed sober in the same house I got wasted in for many years.

I think it's about making a commitment that not dependent of who else is there, or how you feel or whether the opportunity is there to drink without anyone else knowing.

It's a commitment I made first and foremost to myself.
When you need help, reach out - there'll be willing hands to help you get through and stay sober Bettersober

D