View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Leelee168

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Some people have a hard time identifying what others go through. I think it's easy when you are sitting somewhere, financially secure, employed, relatively happy and enjoying your life to look at a situation and say, why doesn't she just walk out, living on the street would surely be better?

They don't go on to think, hmm I wouldn't want to live on the street and have no support and not a blanket to sleep under. Then of course there is the dynamic of having probably gone through abuse for years and having your self-esteem and sanity tested.

I hope people take the time to listen.
This is so very true. I was/am financially secure, employed, and for all appearances had a good life—aside from the abusive relationship (which no one knew about). We owned a brand new home outright and I had one half of the equity in it, which I paid for. How do you walk away from that? People always said for me to walk away from the home and all of my things—and then what? Start over with nothing?

It’s so very complicated. Even after he was removed, there was an 8 month fight in the court system that cost so much money. Today, I am safe and I own the home; I have never been so happy to have a mortgage payment again in my life.