Old 01-05-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
Well, I think the only physics involved is whether or not you bring that drink to your mouth or not.

But I do understand the hesitation about making a promise that you worry that you cannot keep, especially when it comes to others. What happens if I fail that commitment, is it a moral transgression? Do I evaluate myself as a failure or the idea of NEVER doing something again as unreasonable? I have some trouble with wholly black and white standards, but not all, and is this one of those things that is a hard line that I will not cross?

Maybe some day I will be able to assuredly state that I will never drink again. Today I'm sure I'm not going to drink. I have not drinking ever again as my ideal that I strive toward, and it's a pretty simple one (as has been said here) to follow. I just will not drink.
Hear Hear!

I will never drink again is my plan. I also have a high degree of confidence that this will eventually be proven as fact. If that proves not to be true, so what? I doesn't mean that I can't pick myself up and start over again. It doesn't mean I have broken a law, committed an act of immorality, or have been unethical. I would just have been wrong. Is someone going to sue me or point their finger at me and laugh? I would have been mistaken. There was no flaw in my plan. It's still a good plan.

I refuse to say I might someday drink again. I don't want that option as part of the plan. I don't want that to be a self fulfilling prophecy. I don't want to leave that door open. I'd rather be wrong and take the lumps and the responsibility for my mistake. Granted it would be a bad mistake, even a horrible mistake.

I suppose we make an issue about confusing a "plan" with an "ultimate truth," but that's not an issue for me. I'm sticking with the plan.